Thread: What do you say to ppl about music?

AH.FM Addict

What do you say to ppl about music?

ppl ask me all the time why is listen trance? and they say it's just dunk dunk dunk. Then i say you have too listen beyond that. Do I have a point?

and I'm wondering, that do you say?

its funny how people only hear the bass and describe trance based on that sound only.....here is a post i found back in 2004 in another forum and i thought it had a lot of valid arguments PRO trance that i saved it

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Marco
    This is a list I made a while ago for all you people who get dissed by your friends who hate trance... now you can shut 'em up :super

1. At least my music is made by people who are actual musicians, and not a bunch of uneducated rappers.

2. At least my music is based on REAL dance music (80's electronic/techno in my opinion is what started dance music)

3. At least my music is listened to ALL over the world, not like your crappy ass hiphop and rock that's listened to MOSTLY in north america.

4. (this is for when they say "oh your music is all about drugs") At least the producers and DJs who spin my music don't encourage taking drugs... UNLIKE hiphop and rap where drugs are openly advertised.

5. At least my music isn't intended for the bedroom (R&B)... it's for dance floors.

6. At least my music has events all over Europe with like 50,000 people showing up.... not like your little concerts where you get like 500 KIDS and you call it a kick ass show!!!!!! (JACK ASSES)

7. At least my music isn't all about f*&king, raping, killing, fighting, stealing, getting high, p&$sy, tits, ass, etc..... it's about love and peace.

8. At least my music isn't a stupid little sample stolen from some old 50s/60s tune and looped OVER AND OVER.

9. At least my music's lyrics make sense when you listen to them... there's no one mumbling words or trying to say them sooo friggin' fast, it's like they got diarrhea!!!

10. At least my music is from Europe... and you know anything from Europe is sexy ;)

11. At least producers/DJs spinning my music don't have weird retareted names likes 50cent!!!!

12. At least my music has subgeners... you can listen to different styles and still be listening to trance.

13. At least my music isn't mainstream where you have ANY retardo who got friggin' kicked out of his/her mamma's house become a superstar!!!!

14. At least my music isn't produced by a bunch of self-centered, self-obsessed morons who need to host like a trillion award shows per year to make themselves feel good.

15. At least my music isn't about the money... it's about the music. (so often my buddies ask me if all these big DJs I talk about are millionairs and shit, and I'm like no... they don't do it for the money...) And when they SAY it's about the music and not the money they REALLY mean it (not like some little ***** like Britney or Christina who always says, oh it's not about the money, it's about my love for the music.... ah SHUT THE HELL UP)

16. At least my music isn't produced by some jackass who's in the gym all day pumpin iron, trying to look "good"!!!! Trance producers actually DO spend most of their time in the studio mixing/remixing.

17. At least my music doesn't need 5 thugs or rockers to make a single song. (thanx to K-BAN for this one)

Last edited by t4e; Feb 2nd, 2008 at 15:38.
    Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened.

why always the justification, would you put your favourite colour up for discussion?

it's so subjective and the question only arises with numb consumers, not with open-minded connoisseurs.
    do i really care about the opinion of the former?

and t4e though your quote has a couple of valid points there are alot that I dare to question (real musicians ---> Tiesto ---> c'mon :ee / sorry, had to be!)
    and summing it up it's just another my duck-is-bigger-than-yours statement.

Edit:
    also very bad if such things are taken to a personal level rather than just discussing the matter.
    Last edited by 90degrees; Feb 2nd, 2008 at 16:19. Reason: typos +

@90degrees.....Tiesto doesn't taint the whole pot, there's always bad apples lol
    Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened.

Yeah - especially with trance listeners who call pop music trance I argue a lot (friendly debating of course :D)

I've found that rarely by arguing with someone you can get them to "convert" - they have to discover it on their own.

why i listen to trance? because i like it. it means something to me. for me personally, it's the best music in existance. no other reason is needed.

if someone only hears the boom boom boom: well then, go to the store and buy a new pair of ears, apparently yours isn't working properly it's the same thing when i listen to metal or alternative: i only hear distortion and noise.
    http://dfx.at/sets/ :: http://myspace.com/dfx_dj

Quote Originally Posted by dfx View Post
    why i listen to trance? because i like it. it means something to me. for me personally, it's the best music in existance. no other reason is needed.

if someone only hears the boom boom boom: well then, go to the store and buy a new pair of ears, apparently yours isn't working properly it's the same thing when i listen to metal or alternative: i only hear distortion and noise.
    or speedcore ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by xruntime View Post
    or speedcore ;-)

the sad thing is: austria has a speedcore scene, and a quite active one too, but no (functional) trance scene. sad but true.
    http://dfx.at/sets/ :: http://myspace.com/dfx_dj

Quote Originally Posted by dfx View Post

the sad thing is: austria has a speedcore scene, and a quite active one too, but no (functional) trance scene. sad but true.
    hmmmmmmmmm, what a shame

AH Listener
    Down here in NZ the closest things we have to dance are a few clubs in the Major cities or D'N'B. Drum and Bass is huge in the south island mostly, not up north where I am.

We never get any of the bigger trance artists in my city either, they all go to Auckland. And then bugger off over to aussie. I might have to move to Melbourne, I've heard that there scene is pretty big...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ----Equipment----

Sony MDR-v500 Headphones
    Vestax VMC-004 Mixer
    2x Vestax CDx-05's

People diss me about listening to Trance cos they say it's all the same. I always say it isn't, because it isn't all the same. You have many different genres, and a variety of styles. Each artist has an individual take on Trance. E.g compare Ferry Corsten and Cape Town, and they sound completly different. Therefore, I think Trance is very individual as a genre, mostly because of the sheer variety and diversity within it, and that's why I absolutly love it.

AH.FM Addict
    thats probability the best reason I've heard so far!

Thread Information