Studio Monitor How To

Abominus

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure where to start with this question so I thought I would start here:

For those of you who have an ACTUAL recording studio, how many monitors do you mix with?

I see a lot of these guys in studios:

9f82_1.JPG

These are the "infamous" Yamaha NS-10Ms. They need little introduction. They did get replaced by these guys:

cbb2_1.JPG

The Yamaha HS80Ms. Yamaha stopped production on the NS-10s because they could no longer acquire the wood pulp that made up the white cone.

BUT, I also see these guys too:

4400 series

And other monitors as well.

What I don't understand is how do you mix with more than one pair of monitors. I know that on the Yamahas, you are supposed to listen to them at a low volume, like, as in background music. Not to be "force" or anything.

I just want to hear anyone's experiences or opinions.

Your turn,
Abominus
:music:

I can't say that I have ever used a set of those speakers myself, but I have actually heard them.

I used to work for a audio visual company and we would install video conferencing and theatre equipment in some huge corporates all over the world. The office would be regularly full of high quality audio equipment and we had a couple of audiophiles working there. Neither of them rating Yahama speakers, personally my ears aren't that good to be able to comment, but I do do know one thing.

PMC Ltd

^These guys make the best speakers I have ever heard and you can listen to them at what volume you like and they can take it. Obviously for a higher price than the Yamahas though.

When mixing with a set of monitors at home or in a studio, you will only need to use 1 pair, and you don't even need to use a pair, just 1 would do, allot of people mix in mono, but there isn't much point in that as you want it to sound great while you are doing it surely?

If you are making your own music on the other hand then you want to get as flat a response from your audio equipment as possible, the end result is that you end up with tracks that will sound great being played on any audio equipment, low and high end. So in that case you need to be spending allot of coin.

If you asked an audiophile... They would not only recommend you buying some really expensive kit but also changing the dynamics of the room you are doing it in, in order to not change the sound from it reflecting off of different surfaces in your room. Quite often we had to install special sound absorbing surfaces in board rooms to get the best quality out of the equipment.

It's all crazy stuff and depending on how deep you want to go, depends on how deep your pockets are I guess!

:lol:

Anyway just my opinions and I am not a professional on the matter. HTH.

I can't say that I have ever used a set of those speakers myself, but I have actually heard them.

I used to work for a audio visual company and we would install video conferencing and theatre equipment in some huge corporates all over the world. The office would be regularly full of high quality audio equipment and we had a couple of audiophiles working there. Neither of them rating Yahama speakers, personally my ears aren't that good to be able to comment, but I do do know one thing.

PMC Ltd

^These guys make the best speakers I have ever heard and you can listen to them at what volume you like and they can take it. Obviously for a higher price than the Yamahas though.

When mixing with a set of monitors at home or in a studio, you will only need to use 1 pair, and you don't even need to use a pair, just 1 would do, allot of people mix in mono, but there isn't much point in that as you want it to sound great while you are doing it surely?

If you are making your own music on the other hand then you want to get as flat a response from your audio equipment as possible, the end result is that you end up with tracks that will sound great being played on any audio equipment, low and high end. So in that case you need to be spending allot of coin.

If you asked an audiophile... They would not only recommend you buying some really expensive kit but also changing the dynamics of the room you are doing it in, in order to not change the sound from it reflecting off of different surfaces in your room. Quite often we had to install special sound absorbing surfaces in board rooms to get the best quality out of the equipment.

It's all crazy stuff and depending on how deep you want to go, depends on how deep your pockets are I guess!

:lol:

Anyway just my opinions and I am not a professional on the matter. HTH.

God. Those PMCs are sure pricey:unsure:

Once I get all of my gear together, I will post it on here. In fact, I will perhaps do like a series in which I go about building my setup from first piece to last. That would be cool, yes?:mask::)

God. Those PMCs are sure pricey:unsure:

Once I get all of my gear together, I will post it on here. In fact, I will perhaps do like a series in which I go about building my setup from first piece to last. That would be cool, yes?:mask::)

For sure! I love drooling over expensive equipment that I can't afford! :grinning: Kinda like how I am with women too :lol::lol:

I look forward to seeing pics of your studio alive and kicking :music:

For sure! I love drooling over expensive equipment that I can't afford! :grinning: Kinda like how I am with women too :lol::lol:

ROFL :LMAO: gave a good laugh! :lol: :lolz:

i was thinking to get those 80 serie yamaha's as well but noone hasnt said a word of them, good nor bad... so dunno.

i was thinking to get those 80 serie yamaha's as well but noone hasnt said a word of them, good nor bad... so dunno.

Yamaha 80 series? What are those?

I HAD this great link to a guy that is like, a "professional" with this stuff. He is actually an artist but I forgot what kind of music he did.

Anyways, in the end, he said that the 80s are a better version of the earlier Yammies. (The ones on top of my post)

He said that boost up the bass +2 and the highs to like, -2 or something like that and you are all set. He described them as an "old trusting friend that will say it like it is."

I went to the link and it is gone. I was not too happy about that:p

They are sort of "controversial" speakers because a lot of people hate them but they are pretty much in every studio in the world, so OBVIOUSLY they are good for something.

check them out here:
Moozek » Blog Archive » Super Review: Yamaha HS50M - The new NS-10M?

If I find the kick ass link that I was talking about, I will send it to you.

Let me know what you think.

Abominus

Back